In Australia, our primary exports are minerals (such as ores) and grains. Due to the vast distances goods need to travel before export, rail is the most effective means of transportation for these often high-volume products.
The nature of these exports and the Australian landscape means that efficient and effective rail infrastructure and systems are critical to maintain low cost transportation, and hence worldwide competitiveness.
- The National Transport Commission Review of Rail Productivity
- The National Transport Commission Rail Safety Regulator
- The History of Rail in Australia from the Department of Infrastructure and transport
- CRC for Rail Innovation is a collaborative venture between leading organisations in the Australian Rail Industry and seven of Australia’s leading Universities. Over a period of seven years (ending June 30, 2014), the CRC is investing $100m in rail research to solve serious problems common to several industry participants.
- Rail Career Pathways from CRC for Rail Innovation. Discover for yourself the enormous range of jobs and career opportunities open to you in the Rail industry.
Publications & Reports
- An SA Freight Council report on Moving Freight
- A study by the department of Transport, Energy and Infrastructure into Strategic Road/Rail Link Planning
- A Road and Rail Freight Infrastructure Pricing Inquiry Report from April 2007 by The Australian Government Productivity commission
- A Summary of Australian Rail Freight Performance Indicators from 2007-08
- A National Intermodal Terminal Study by Meyrick and Associates for the Australian Government
- A Report on National freight strategy and the role of rail towards 2050
- The National Rail Safety Regulators Panel
- The National Rail Safety Regulators Panel publications
- The Department of Infrastructure and transport links to rail safety information
Associations and Contacts
- Freight Rail Operators Group (FROG) – a voice for freight rail operators
- Pacific National is Australia’s leading freight rail operator
- Patrick is Australia’s leading provider of port-related services
- Australian Railroad Group (ARG) above rail bulk freight operator
- QR National is Australia’s largest rail freight haulage operator
- Genessee & Wyoming Australia (GWA)own and operate short line and regional freight railroads
- SCT is a national, multi-modal transport and logistics company
- Australasian Railway Association (ARA)is the peak body representing all passenger, freight, track operators and the wider rail supply industry in Australia and New Zealand
- Australian Rail Track Corporation (ARTC) is a 'one stop' shop for all operators seeking access to the National interstate rail network.
- The National Transport Commission (NTC) are leaders in transport regulatory reform
- Freight and Logistics Council of WA
- SA Freight Council
- Tasmanian Freight and Logistics Council
- Queensland Transport and Logistics Council
- Link to Regulations page
- Link to Statistics page