Cold Chain Logistics
Cold Chain Logistics is the transport of perishable goods: goods that can spoil, like fresh meat, seafood and fruits, vegetables and even pharmaceuticals. These goods need to be transported and stored in temperature controlled environments whilst in transit, in warehouses and while waiting to be loaded onto transport.
Cold Chain Logistics can be challenging, but if done well can provide major benefits and competitive advantages. Our fact sheets, links and presentations will give you some ideas on how to maintain the cold chain from “paddock to plate”.
- DAFF Biosecurity(formerly the The Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service) DAFF manages quarantine controls at our borders to minimise the risk of exotic pests and diseases entering the country.
- The Sydney Post Harvest Laboratory The main services offered to the fresh fruit and vegetable industry are :- advice and research for specific problems, evaluation of postharvest technologies, storage and handling software, assistance with commercialisation, patents for licensing, expert witness and cargo loss
- The Australian Institute of Food Science and Technology AIFST is the leading independent qualifying body for food professionals in Australia
- Refrigerated Containers and CA Technology information. Cargo Loss Prevention Handbook from German Marine Insurers
- CSIRO Agriculture & Food CSIRO, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, is Australia's national science agency. CSIRO is delivering science to improve food production systems and food quality in Australia and internationally
- Horticulture Australia Ltd HAL is a not-for-profit, industry-owned company. It works in partnership with Australia’s horticulture industries to invest in research, development and marketing programs that provide benefit to industry and the wider community.
- Meat & Livestock Australia delivers marketing and research and development services for Australia's cattle, sheep and goat producers. MLA creates opportunities for livestock supply chains from their combined investments to build demand and productivity.
- Food SA feeds connections to help industry grow, unite, lead and sustain South Australia’s food industry into the future
- South Australian Food Centre The functions of the South Australian Food Centre have changed as a result of the formation of Food SA
- South Australian Research and Development Institute (SARDI) – Food innovation and value chain. The Food Innovation and Value Chain program provides scientific and technical advice across government, industry and the community in respect of key issues associated with the maintenance of food quality and integrity through the value chain
- Dryiceinfo.com – the web’s leading source of information about Dry Ice
- Australian Federation of International Forwarders In addition to specific Air & sea matters, AFIF also represents its members in issues related to: Customs & Quarantine; IT/E-Commerce; Training & Education; Security; Depot & Warehousing; etc
- Produce Marketing Association is the largest, global not-for-profit trade association representing companies that market fresh fruits, vegetables, and related products
- Postharvest Technology Research and Information Centre mission is to reduce postharvest losses and improve the quality, safety and marketability of fresh horticultural products
- Postharvest Information Network A resource for postharvest information on apples,pears, cherries, stone fruit and postharvest practises
- Chill-On A European Union funded prject to improve the quality and safety of the chilled/frozen supply chain
- European Cold Storage and Logistics Association The ECSLA mission is to represent the cold logistics companies interests, at the level of European and international institutions
- The Australian Chamber of Fruit and Vegetable Industries is the national body representing Australia’s fresh fruit and vegetable Market Wholesalers
- Food Standards Australia New Zealand Food Safety Fact Sheet
- Temperature Danger Zones Fact Sheet: from the Food Safety Information Council
- Shop With Food Safety in Mind: Fact Sheet: from the Food Safety Information Council
- National Vaccine Storage Guidelines: Strive for 5 (Second Edition)
- South Australian Freight Council - Common Learnings Report
- Australia’s Most Unwanted: A Guide to Exotic Pests and Disease
- Issues in food miles and carbon labelling
- South Australian Freight Council - Cold Chain Materials Order Form
- National Rural Health Alliance – Freight Improvement Tool Kit
- Shipping Australia Limited Publications
- The Australian Bureau of Statistics
- The Bureau of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Economics (BITRE)
- Overview of the Australian Food Industry
- DAFF Statistical Tables